Book blog 1 - Mexican Whiteboy

2/12/18


The title of this book is called Mexican Whiteboy. The author is Matt De La Pena and the genre is realistic fiction.

This book is about a 16 year old kid named Danny Lopez. Danny lives in a wealthy white neighborhood with his mom and sister. He is biracial, his mother is white and his dad is Mexican. Throughout the book Danny always thinks to himself if he belongs in white society or Mexican society? Danny goes to visit his dads side of the family in National City, over the summer. While there he goes through many problems such as fights, identity crisis, girl problems and so on. But man good things do happen to him with baseball. He loves to play baseball. You’re gonna have to read go find out what happens.

Danny is a very skinny, skater dressing, shy, emo (ish), and a very great baseball player. I know this because according to pages 2, and 19 and chapter 3 pg 16 states, “He’s long and thin with skinny arms hanging down to his skinny thighs.” This quote shows how good Danny is at baseball. He is at the neighborhood of his fathers family and they are having a homerun derby. “Danny waits on thus one. Makes out white seams in a sea of yellow felt. Spinning through the air like a softball. Like a beach ball. Like a big spinning globe, the planet Earth. He locks in. Shifts his weight quick and turns on the pitch, drives the barrel through the zone. Chrushes it.” ” Nobody paid him any attention anyway because he was Mexican. He roamed the school halls with his head down like a ghost. 
Drifted in and out of classrooms without a peep. Nobody even saw him as a real person. But down here, where everybody's skin is dark, everybody seems to be coming at him.”

I liked this book for many reasons, one of them being it’s about baseball. I’ve been playing baseball since I was 6 and ever since then I loved the game. It’s one of those things that if I’m playing, all my 
worries go away. I don’t stress about anything. The second reason I like this book is because of how many things that are relatable to me in this book. The characters are Mexican and they do and say a lot of the things I would. My family might not be as ghetto as Danny’s is in the book but for the most part they’re very similar. I think I would recommend this book to a friend because it’ll teach you a lot about REAL life. It’s nothing like the movies. Not everything goes your way how it does right now. You’re gonna have to mature and become an adult one day. It’s not fun and games all the time. I think the lesson this book is tying to teach you is to never forget who you are.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Identity

My First Homerun - Dream come True